Where did video editing start? how has it evolved? this is what im going to explore in this post.
Where did the concept start?
- Eadward Muybridge – took a series of still images, each slightly different (just like frames) and put them together to prove that horses take all four feet off the ground when galloping.
- He took thousands of images of people and animals and published them into books and albums. Created a device called the zoopraxiscope that allowed a user to see the moving image illusion created by these still images conjoined together in sequence.
- Late 1800s – film camera was invented, using film stock shown through a projector.
- George Melies developed a method by which it was possible to film various different scenes and join them together to create a video/film – this is now what is known as ‘editing’
- 1948 – TV and video.
- video tape can be wiped and reused – film stock can’t do this.
- Machines developed that could pause, play and record video and edit it without physically cutting the tape. this method was used for decades.
- The Avid/1 – allowed for non-linear editing which is the editing style we are most familiar with today.