French meaning: ‘placing on the stage.’
Mise en scene includes everything that you see within a frame, this may include:
- Costume/props – communicate a personality or role of a character.
- Acting – communicates the intended characteristics and traits to accompany the narrative.
- Lighting – high-key and low-key lighting can represent good and bad, happy and sad etc.
- Set design – Establishes a scene, a place and atmosphere.
- Semiotics – study of symbols – symbolism and representation within a scene.
- Actors etc.
Mise en scene of a scene within a moving image simply displays the representation of how the artistic vision and intention for a piece is meaning to come across shown through all of the various conventions.